The main activity and task of the Szeged Trasport Company is to operate the regular, electric public transport in Szeged.
The legal predecessor of the Szeged Transport Company, the Szeged Public Iron Track Share Holding Company was entered into the commercial companies registry on 16 March 1885. In 1908 and 1909, the horse tramway and steam traction lines were electrified. The company was nationalised in 1949, its name from 14 April 1945 on was the Szeged Electric Tram Company. In 1955 its name was changed again.
The company under the name of the Szeged Transport Company launched bus services on eight lines with a 44-km-long network at the beginning of April 1955. Upon the directive of the Ministry of Transport and Postal Services, the SZKV handed over its autobus branch to No.:10 Automobile Company, the legal predecessor of the today´s TISZA VOLÁN Share Holding Company. On 29 April 1979, the trolleybus transport started operating.
At the change of regime, the Szeged Transport Company became the property of the Municipality of Szeged City of County Rights, and then in 1994, besides continuous succession, it became a limited company. The company has remained 100% in the proprietorship of the Szeged Municipality.
For the time being, the company operates four tramlines and four trolleybus lines. In the firsth-half of 2008, the running output of the tram branch was 450 594 mileage and of the trolleybus branch was 419 192 mileage.
The full length of the lines is 81 km out of which 37 km is tram track and 44 km is trolleybus track.
Our company was the first among the public transport providers in Hungary to be granted the ISO 9002 qualification on 19 April 2000.